Spain Orders Detention of Alleged Member of ISIS

Madrid – The Spanish justice ordered on Sunday the detention of the suspected head of a terrorist cell, associated with the “Islamic State” organization, disbanded on Friday by Moroccan and Spanish security services.A judge of the Spanish highest penal jurisdiction, Javier Gomez Bermudez, heard on Sunday the suspect, Mohamed Said Mohamed, who holds the Spanish nationality, and decided to put him in detention without bail, out of fear that the suspect could flee the Spanish territory or destroy the pieces of evidence.Investigations led so far show that the defendant, a former serviceman, arrested on Friday in Morocco’s northern city of Melilia, under Spanish rule, was the head of a jihadist band that was planning to join the “Islamic State” Organization. The man, who has criminal records and who had already served a prison sentence between February and August 2014, was wanted by Morocco which had issued an international arrest warrant for suspicion of establishing armed gangs to plot and carry out terrorist acts”, the Spanish judge said.Eight other members of the same cell who had been arrested on Friday in Nador (northeastern Morocco) were found to be in close contact with a former Spanish serviceman who had rallied in 2012 the “Mujao” organization, associated with Al Qaeda, before joining later the “Islamic State” organization.The Moroccan interior ministry announced last Friday the disbanding, in close collaboration with the Spanish security services, of a network, active in Nador and Melilia (northeastern Morocco), suspected of recruiting fighters for the Iraqi-Syrian jihadist group “Islamic State“.Investigation showed that the eight men were in touch with members of “Attaouhid” and “Al Mouahidine,” two other groups disbanded in May 2013 in Nador. They also coordinated with “Al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb” group in northern Mali. read more

China demands US drop Huawei extradition request with Canada

BEIJING — China is demanding the U.S. drop a request that Canada extradite a top executive of the tech giant Huawei.Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying said Tuesday that Meng Wanzhou’s case was out of the ordinary and Canada’s extradition treaty with the U.S. infringed on the “safety and legitimate rights and interests of Chinese citizens.”Hua said China demands that the U.S. withdraw the arrest warrant against Meng and “not make a formal extradition request to the Canadian side.”Hua’s Tuesday remarks come after More than 100 academics and former diplomats signed a letter calling on China to release two Canadians detained in apparent retaliation for Meng’s arrest.The letter says the arrests of the two send a worrisome signal to those who work in policy and research in China.The Associated Press read more