to go further Receive email alerts Organisation AfghanistanAsia – Pacific News News Sign the petition An official at Lashkar Gah hospital was able to speak to Gabriele Torsello’s abductors on 23 October. They did not let Torsello speak but they said he was in good health. This would indicate that the 22 October deadline is now defunct. A Taliban spokesman, Qari Yousaf Ahmadi, meanwhile told the Afghan news agency Pajhwok that the kidnappers should “free their hostage because it is not fair to hit at Italy by killing an innocent journalist.” He added that, “the kidnappers are just bandits interested in money.” This would suggest that their original demands might have been just a way of introducing a ransom request.———————————————-23.10.2006Hundreds call for Italian photographer’s unconditional releaseMore than 300 journalists and press freedom activists have signed a petition for the unconditional release of Gabriele Torsello, the Italian freelance photographer held hostage in Afghanistan, Reporters Without Borders said today. Usually known in the profession as Kash, we have received no word about him after the deadline set by his abductors expired on Sunday evening (22 October).“We repeat our solemn appeal to Torsello’s abductors to free him,” Reporters Without Borders said. “This Italian photographer, who has covered the hardships of the Afghan, Nepalese and Kashmiri peoples, can in no way be held responsible for the policies of his country of origin. The end of Ramadan should encourage his kidnappers to make a gesture of tolerance in his favour.”On 18 October, Torsello’s kidnappers demanded the departure of Italian troops from Afghanistan, promising to free him in return. Italian foreign minister Arturo Parisi ruled out this possibility the next day, pointing out that Italy’s soldiers are there at the request of the Afghan authorities.Torsello’s family issued an appeal for his release on 18 October, while British parliamentarian Nazir Ahmed also called on his kidnappers to free him, pointing out that he knows Torsello personally. Ahmed, who is of Pakistani origin, confirmed in an interview for Peacereporter.net that Torsello is a Muslim convert.Torsello was kidnapped by five gunmen as he was travelling by bus from Lashkar Gah to Kandahar in southern Afghanistan on 12 October. Since then, he has been in telephone contact several times with personnel at a hospital in Lashkar Gah run by the Italian NGO Emergency.A freelance journalist who has visited many parts of the world over the past ten years, Torsello had been travelling within Afghanistan for several months wearing a black beard and Afghan clothes. Aged 36, married and the father of one child, he now lives in London. AfghanistanAsia – Pacific More than 300 journalists and press freedom activists have signed a petition for the unconditional release of Gabriele Torsello, the Italian freelance photographer held hostage in Afghanistan, Reporters Without Borders said today. Usually known in the profession as Kash, we have received no word about him after the deadline set by his abductors expired on Sunday evening (22 October). Sign the petition June 2, 2021 Find out more May 3, 2021 Find out more Help by sharing this information October 25, 2006 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Kidnappers say Italian photographer still in good health News Follow the news on Afghanistan Afghanistan : “No just and lasting peace in Afghanistan without guarantees for press freedom” RSF asks International Criminal Court to investigate murders of journalists in Afghanistan News RSF_en Situation getting more critical for Afghan women journalists, report says March 11, 2021 Find out more
Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error “I’m not putting too much weight in that,” Roberts said of Puig’s rehab game. “We just wanted his defense. He’s healthy. Yasiel’s a guy that we play every day. He’s working hard and he’s going to have to work through it.”INJURY UPDATESClayton Kershaw played catch in the outfield at Dodger Stadium for five minutes from a distance of approximately 60 feet. That was a step in the right direction one day after the pitcher said he had no timetable to begin throwing. Roberts said it’s still too soon to know when Kershaw can begin throwing off a mound.Kershaw was placed on the 10-day disabled list Sunday with left biceps tendinitis.Justin Turner played a simulated game, allowing him to bat, field and run the bases at Dodger Stadium. The third baseman said he would do the same again Thursday. Turner said he still has “some boxes to check off” before he can return to the Dodgers, presumably next week during the team’s six-game trip to Washington D.C. and Miami.The biggest box?“This might sound weird but probably sliding because I slide with my left hand down,” Turner said. “Sometimes I put my left hand on the ground. I have to concentrate, make sure I don’t stick my hand on the ground and jam up my wrist. Hopefully, in these rehab games, I’ll be able to check that off and not think about that.”Turner hasn’t played since a pitched ball fractured a bone in his left wrist late in spring training.BULLPEN SHUFFLEThe Dodgers added a couple new bullpen arms. Left-hander Scott Alexander and right-hander Brock Stewart were recalled from Oklahoma City prior to Wednesday’s game. Right-hander Yimi Garcia was optioned to Triple-A, and left-hander Tony Cingrani was placed on the 10-day disabled list with what Roberts termed a “dead arm.”Cingrani was “taking a little bit longer to get loose,” Roberts said. “For us, it’s just to get ahead of it. He wanted to stay active and log innings for us. We felt that it was prudent to get ahead of it, give him 10 days, then be ready to go.”Alexander made four scoreless appearances at Triple-A, striking out five batters and walking only one in four innings. Stewart had been optioned to Oklahoma City on Monday to make room for starting pitcher Rich Hill.UP NEXTDodgers (RHP Walker Buehler, 2-0, 1.13 ERA) vs. Cincinnati Reds (RHP Tyler Mahle, 2-4, 4.35 ERA), Thursday, 7 p.m., SportsNet LA LOS ANGELES — It was about this time a year ago that the Dodgers called up a 21-year-old rookie from Triple-A and stuck him in the outfield. Manager Dave Roberts tempered expectations daily, reminding reporters that Cody Bellinger was only in the majors because of another player’s injury. By the end of the season, Bellinger was the National League Rookie of the Year. He never spent another day in the minors.Usually, it doesn’t work that way. Wednesday, it turned out the Dodgers’ front office wasn’t kidding when a 21-year-old rookie outfielder was demoted to Triple-A, and the injured veteran he replaced got his spot in the lineup back.Yasiel Puig started in right field and batted seventh against the Arizona Diamondbacks. Alex Verdugo was optioned to Oklahoma City, 11 days after he was first called up.“Alex came up and played well for us, played with some energy,” Roberts said. “He’s obviously a part of what we’re going to be doing. He came up because of an injury. Once Yasiel came back, to get Alex back down there playing makes sense.” Verdugo, the consensus top position player in the Dodgers’ farm system, batted .265 (9 for 34) with four doubles in nine games. That was not enough for him to displace Puig, Joc Pederson or Matt Kemp, who will start regularly.Rookie Tim Locastro is a versatile reserve who can play both middle infield positions as well as the outfield. Despite his limited exposure over the last week, Locastro will remain in the majors as a right-handed bench piece.“With Alex, you want a guy like him if he is here to be playing every day, not just to be a bat off the bench,” Roberts said. “Even if it’s just being here for another five days, that’s another 20-something at-bats down there, and if we need him we can recall him.”Puig’s batting average (.193), on-base percentage (.250) and slugging percentage (.250) were miserable when he landed on the DL with a sore hip and ankle. For the most part, those averages didn’t line up with his peripheral stats. Puig’s line-drive, ground-ball, and fly-ball rates were roughly on par with his past few seasons. His walk and strikeout percentages were close to his career averages, too.That suggests a fair amount of bad luck. Puig’s expected weighted on-base average (.300) badly outpaced his actual wOBA (.224), according to MLB’s Statcast technology. Roberts said the club considered delaying Puig’s activation after he went 0 for 4 in a rehab game with Class-A Rancho Cucamonga on Tuesday, but ultimately decided 10 days was enough.