– Essequibo Islands Secondary and Parika /Salem Secondary to collide in openerTHE 7th Edition of the Digicel Schools Football Championship will kick off today with a solitary game at the Leonora Track & Field Centre, West Coast Demerara.In the opening fixture of this year’s event, Essequibo Islands Secondary will travel to take on Parika/ Salem Secondary in what is expected to be a keen and exciting matchup commencing from 14:30hrs.Play in the championship resumes tomorrow with another match at the same venue featuring Leonora Technical versus Professional Learning Institute from 15:30hrs.On June 14, Mahaicony Secondary tackles Belladrum Secondary at the Belladrum ground in West Berbice from 15:30hrs, while Vreed-en-Hoop and Patentia square off at L’Aventure ground from 15:30hrs.Over at Burnham Park in New Amsterdam, Berbice, Berbice High School collides with Berbice Educational Institute at 15:30hrs.Play continues throughout the week at various venues.One hundred and fifty schools, drawn from the ten administrative regions of Guyana, will once again vie for what is considered as the country’s ‘Holy Grail’ of schools football.One million dollars will go to the winning school for a project of their choice, while second, third and fourth placed teams will pocket $700 000, $400 000 and $350 000 respectively.However, the tournament which will see Georgetown being divided into north and south, will see the winners of each zone being awarded $100 000,to go towards a school project.Chase’s Academic Foundation are the defending champions in the tournament, while the Christianburg Wismar Secondary School, popularly known as ‘Multi’ is the most decorated team.The Linden-based team have played in every final since the inception of the tournament; winning four consecutive titles, only losing in the inaugural year to the Georgetown Technical Institute and in last year’s final.
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREUCLA alum Kenny Clark signs four-year contract extension with PackersIt requires special consideration from the Lakers, who by contrast boast their best players in the frontcourt. Especially when James is the primary ball-handler, as he was in the starting lineup against the Clippers in Tuesday’s season opener, the Lakers will rely on their guards to pick up tough defensive assignments.Alongside Danny Green, Avery Bradley, as an on-ball defender, seems to fit that particular bill as long as he’s healthy. Bradley said Wednesday he would relish the opportunity to finally try to mark Conley, who he played with at the end of last season in Memphis.“I tried to (defend him in practice), but he always wanted me on his team,” he said. “He’s a very good player, man.”Adding to the thought process is the impending return of veteran Rajon Rondo, who was a full participant in Thursday’s five-on-five scrimmages. Vogel thought Rondo, who has been dealing with calf soreness since midway through the preseason, looked “fresher than everyone else” after sitting out the opener. But he added the medical staff would determine if Rondo can return to the lineup on Friday against the Jazz once he feels how a full-tempo practice affects his body.Rondo, 33, could make starts as the team’s point guard once he’s healthy, Vogel said. Lakers practice early hoping to answer all questions How athletes protesting the national anthem has evolved over 17 years Trail Blazers, Grizzlies advance to NBA play-in game; Suns, Spurs see playoff dreams dashed Lakers, Clippers schedules set for first round of NBA playoffs Trail Blazers beat Grizzlies in play-in, earn first-round series with the Lakers “I’ve given it a lot of thought and I think he’ll be in the starting lineup a lot. There’s potentially two ways we can go with that position, sometimes bringing Avery off the bench, sometimes bringing Rajon off the bench in terms of that position,” he said. “And a lot of it can be dictated by matchups and the free flow of the team and stuff like that, but I definitely envision a lot of games where he’ll be the starting point guard.”Rondo is a divisive player among fans to say the least. While he made 29 starts last season as the second-leading assist man for the Lakers (8.0 apg), he also struggled, particularly on defense. The Lakers’ defensive rating improved from 113.3 points allowed per 100 possessions when he was on the court to 105.4 when he was off it. He also had a negative net rating (minus-5.4) in the roughly 605 minutes he shared with James.Often cited by coaches as one of the league’s sharpest minds, Rondo seemed to indirectly reference his statistics with James without explicitly acknowledging that he had seen them.“The league is big on analytics now so I don’t know what the statistics are when LeBron and I are on the court at the same time, but that’s last year’s stats,” he said. “This year is obviously a different team, different feel. So we’ll see how it goes. You can’t predetermine anything. You got to see how the game flows and go from there.”Vogel has talked up Rondo’s game for weeks, saying during training camp that he believed Rondo could also be an off-ball shooting threat after hitting about 36 percent from 3-point range last season. He added Thursday that “I’ve always wanted to coach him specifically, but I’ve always asked for guys like him.” Tuesday’s loss to the Clippers also showcased some shortcomings among the Lakers’ playmakers after James, as the team had just 20 assists, and many players felt the ball was stagnant at points in the game.Related Articles Viewing from the sideline, Rondo said he believed he could help the team with its ball movement from side-to-side in half-court sets, but also improve the fast break. The Lakers had just five transition points (none in the first half) against the Clippers.Rondo said he’ll be open to starting or coming off the bench: “My preference is what Coach Vogel wants me to do. … I’ll be cool with that.”Still, the defensive needs of the Lakers could drive those decisions, and not just at point guard. Vogel also said center JaVale McGee, who started Tuesday, could be swapped out for Dwight Howard among the starters depending on the game or particular matchups.Rondo, like Bradley, is a former All-Defensive selection, but he last earned those honors in 2013. Vogel suggested that he might look at different tools for different nights around his stars.“Every time we prepare for a team, what lineups they’re bringing into our building or this matchup that will be a consideration in terms of who to start,” he said. “And especially early on in this season while we’re still learning about ourselves, haven’t locked into a full-time starting lineup, and the matchups for that night’s game will be a factor.” Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error EL SEGUNDO — LeBron James has seen the stat line from Mike Conley’s Utah Jazz debut: 1 for 16 from the field.Now, James is on high alert. He called it “the worst thing that could’ve happened” for the Lakers, who will have to guard both Conley and Donovan Mitchell (who scored 32 points) because he’s not buying that Conley will be buried in a shooting slump for long.“He missed I think eight of his right-hand floaters, which has been money for his whole career,” he said. “So I didn’t analyze that too much.”Conley and Mitchell, who averaged a combined 45 points per game last season, will visit Staples Center on Friday night as the first of many high-scoring guard duos the Lakers must figure out how to slow down this season.Think about the Western Conference for a moment, which is defined, in part, by high-powered guard tandems. Damian Lillard and CJ McCollum (46.8 combined ppg last season) in Portland; Steph Curry and D’Angelo Russell in Golden State (48.4 ppg); and a new Houston duo of former MVPs in James Harden and Russell Westbrook (59 ppg). Even on nights when they aren’t facing top-of-the-shelf gunning guards, the Lakers will have to deal with the likes of Sacramento (De’Aaron Fox and Buddy Hield), New Orleans (Jrue Holiday and J.J. Reddick) and Denver (Jamal Murray and Gary Harris), all of whom can put up points from the backcourt.
Dear Editor,In Region Six (East Berbice-Corentyne), there are three ‘gentlemen’ who have been referred to as the “three AFC musketeers” in the Moving Guyana Forward chat group, and they are marketing themselves as the mouth pieces of Ministers of the Government, feeling that they could capitalise on the gullibility of some residents, thereby reaping the fruits of corruption.In Guyana generally, there is an accepted norm that once you are seen in the company of the Ministers, interacting and probably drinking together, then you are in a position to get favours from these Ministers. These three Alliance For Change (AFC) executive members are always in some Minister’s company when they visit Region Six; misleading some people to conclude that these charlatans can extract favours from the Ministers on their behalf.One of these AFC members used the CIIP workers as though they were his private employees and is now a ‘secret’ contractor in the region. The other works with the Public Infrastructure Ministry and has been collecting bribes from contractors to get them contracts from Public Infrastructure Ministry; while the third one is a professional conman who collected bribes from a businessman from Albion and one from Skeldon offering to get them chicken import licences among other ‘services’. These ‘gentlemen’ have been the subject of much discussion in the Moving Guyana Forward chat group.Recently, these three AFC members made visits to Manchester, Albion, Kildonan, Black Bush and other People’s National Congress and People’s Progressive Party strongholds, offering to build streets and install street lights if the residents could only sign up as AFC members, which some residents have been doing. This matter was raised at our Regional Democratic Council (RDC) statutory meeting since April this year and the Regional Executive Officer (REO) had promised to investigate the matter since it is the Neighbourhood Democratic Councils and the RDCs function to make budgetary proposals for these works and not some AFC members. Therefore, for these AFC executive members to do so is fraudulent misrepresentation and misleading. The AFC is ‘dead meat’ and this is a sinister strategy to show that the AFC’s membership is actually increasing and not dying as foretold by Ramjattan.I also spoke to some contractors who expressed their utter disgust with the corrupt behaviour of the ‘musketeers’. They claimed that any time they see these guys they have to hide since they are forced to fork out thousands of dollars to buy drinks at some popular liquor restaurant; be it Rose Hall or Skeldon. These guys have expensive appetites as well! These contractors claimed also that the profits they make have to be shared in so many ways making the contracts unprofitable!Last Saturday, one of these guys was on television addressing the privatisation of the Guyana Sugar Corporation and made some statements which are quite contrary to what is said by the Special Purpose Unit and the Agriculture Minister. He claimed to actually know the name of the buyer of Skeldon Estate. This was meant to let the public feel that he is very close to the decision makers so that the public will have more confidence in him when he does his ‘field trips’.These AFC executive members are expert marketers and have created their own niche in the ‘corruption market’ in Guyana and their leaders are silent since they are also members on the Moving Guyana Forward chat group and are aware of everything written in this letter. But the ‘pot cannot call the kettle black’!Yours sincerely,Haseef YusufRDC Councillor,Region Six
No related posts. Two members of the U.K.’s Queen’s Guard arrived in Costa Rica last week to help train 30 National Police officers and members of Costa Rica’s Honor Guard.In addition to belonging to the Royal Air Force, the two officers also served in official capacity at the Buckingham Palace, Windsor Castle, London Tower and guarding the late Princess of Wales.Members of Costa Rica’s honor guard, who are assigned to offer protection during official state events, will receive advanced instruction in state funerals, official events, presidential visits, special escorts, and honor guards.The honor guard members also will receive training from five instructors at the National Police School.During an activity held by the Public Security Ministry in San José on Wednesday, members of the honor guard showed off some of what they have learned in the trainings. Present at the activity were Sharon Campbell, British ambassador in Costa Rica, Celso Gamboa, Costa Rica’s public security minister, and Juan José Andrade, general director of Costa Rica’s National Police.“I am proud to be here presenting these two members of the Queen’s Royal Guard. It is a source of great pride for the United Kingdom to be able to help Costa Rica’s National Police Honor Guard,” Campbell said.Gamboa also recognized the importance of receiving support from other countries in order to strengthen and train local police forces. “Today we recognize and thank the support that Great Britain has given us through the Queen’s Royal Guard. We know that this training in protocols makes this group of Costa Rican officials even stronger,” he said. Facebook Comments
Government of India has developed an action plan for the promotion of tourism at Varanasi, on the river Ganges. Dr Mahesh Sharma, Minister of State with Independent Charge for Tourism and Culture and for Civil Aviation, said that the government will create a coordination committee for the promotion of tourism and culture in Varanasi. The pledge came after a seminar on pilgrimage and spiritual tourism, which was held in Varanasi recently, entitled ‘Opportunity abounds along the Ganges’.Dr Sharma said that the committee would include the secretaries of the ministries of tourism, culture and civil aviation, plus local representatives and experts in the relevant fields. The committee will submit an action plan by 15 April 2015, which is then expected to be implemented within three months.The minister added that aspects of visitor safety and hygiene would be included in the action plan. He has proposed that the country should go in for SMART goals, rather than plan big projects, which may not be implemented in a designated time frame. The minister elaborated what he meant by SMART goals – Small, Manageable, Accessible, Realistic, and Tangible.While addressing local hoteliers and tour operators at the seminar, Dr Sharma urged them to utilise the opportunity of spiritual and religious tourism along the Ganges. He also urged the hoteliers to take care of the city’s ghats – the stone steps that lead into the river.