The Chinese embassy in Washington did not immediately respond to a request for comment.However, China denies mistreatment of the minority group and says the camps provide vocational training and are needed to fight extremism.The sanctions were imposed under the Global Magnitsky Human Rights Accountability Act, a federal law that allows the US government to target human rights violators around the world with freezes on any US assets, US travel bans and prohibitions on Americans doing business with them.A senior administration official who briefed reporters after the announcements described Chen as the highest ranking Chinese official ever sanctioned by the United States, adding that the sanction is “no joke. Not only in terms of symbolic and reputational affect, but it does have real meaning on a person’s ability to move around the world and conduct business.” The sanctions were also imposed on Zhu Hailun, a former deputy party secretary of the region and current deputy secretary of regional legislative body the Xinjiang’s People’s Congress, Wang Mingshan, the director and Communist Party secretary of the Xinjiang Public Security Bureau and former party secretary of the bureau Huo Liujun.US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Washington was also imposing further visa restrictions on Chen, Zhu, and Wang, as well as on other unnamed Chinese Communist Party (CCP) officials, barring them and their immediate family from the United States.The US Treasury Department said that Chen implemented “a comprehensive surveillance, detention, and indoctrination program in Xinjiang, targeting Uighurs and other ethnic minorities” through the Xinjiang Public Security Bureau.Chen made his mark swiftly after taking the top post in Xinjiang in 2016, with mass “anti-terror” rallies conducted in the region’s largest cities involving tens of thousands of paramilitary troops and police. He is widely considered the senior official responsible for the security crackdown in Xinjiang.The United Nations estimates that more than a million Muslims have been detained in camps in the Xinjiang region.Pompeo earlier on Thursday called China’s crackdown in Xinjiang “the stain of the century … that rivals anything we’ve seen across the globe.”Former detainees of the detention camps report that fellow detainees died after torture and abuse by officials, the Treasury said.In a recent book about his time in the Trump administration, former national security adviser John Bolton said that US President Donald Trump said Chinese President Xi Jinping should go ahead with building detention camps in Xinjiang.US Republican Senator Marco Rubio told Reuters the sanctions were “long overdue” and cautioned that steps needed to continue to be taken.”For far too long, Chinese officials have not been held accountable for committing atrocities that likely constitute crimes against humanity,” Rubio said.China threatened retaliation after Trump signed legislation in June with little fanfare, calling for sanctions over the repression of China’s Uighurs.”The United States is committed to using the full breadth of its financial powers to hold human rights abusers accountable in Xinjiang and across the world,” Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said in a statement.Topics : The United States on Thursday imposed sanctions on Chinese officials, including a member of the country’s powerful Politburo, accusing them of serious human rights abuses against the Uighur Muslim minority, a move likely to further ratchet up tensions between Washington and Beijing.The Trump administration targeted Xinjiang region’s Communist Party Secretary Chen Quanguo, who becomes the highest-ranking Chinese official to be hit with US sanctions, and the Xinjiang Public Security Bureau. The highly anticipated action follows months of open hostility toward Beijing in Washington over China’s handling of the novel coronavirus outbreak and its tightened grip on Hong Kong.”The United States calls upon the world to stand against the CCP’s acts against its own minority communities in Xinjiang, including mass arbitrary detention, forced labor, religious persecution, and forced birth control and sterilization,” a White House official said.
The mayor hasalready provisioned Executive Order (EO) No. 2, series of 2020 “ An OrderStrengthening EpidemiologicalSurveillance and Response System to Protect the City of Roxas from 2019 NovelCorona Virus Cases from Wuhan, Hubel, China and other emerging and re- emerginginfectious diseases.” Mayor RonnieDadivas called on the various government agencies and private organizations,namely the Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG), PhilippineNational Police (PNP), Philippine Coast Guard (PCG), Philippine Ports Authority(PPA), Civil Aviation Authority (CAA), Department of Education (DepEd),Hospital Administrators and health personnel among others to heightensurveillance and monitoring, plus impose necessary preventive measures againstthe virus in the city. Also in the EO,the Roxas City Airport and the Port of Culasi are mandated to take appropriatedetection and reporting of possible cases. The Order willestablish and mobilize respective Barangay Health Emergency Response Team(BHERT) composed of barangay health workers, barangay service workers andbarangay nutrition scholars to assist and conduct epidemiological surveillance. “Kinahangklan naton ang instrikto ngapag-bantay sa airport, sea port including the entrance and exit points sang aton siudad,” Dadivas told Panay News. The City HealthOffice (CHO) will lead the overall surveillance, while the City Disaster RiskReduction Management Office (CDRRMO) will provide technical assistance, theorder said. ROXAS City –The government here has held an emergency meeting on Jan.31 following thedeclaration of the Department of Health (DOH) about the first corona virus casein the country. Part of thecity government’s preventive measure is to require all passengers or touriststhat will use the airport and seaport to fill up the health declaration form.Also, they will not be granted entrance if they show symptoms of the virus sansundergoing proper quarantine procedures, he added./PN
Justice seemed to have been done when McGregor guessed right to save from Jelavic but the ball rebounded to Rosenior who headed his first senior goal since October 2009. Rosenior concurred with his manager’s desire to get the job done, telling his club’s official website: “There’s been a lot talk about the FA Cup recently but the most important thing is we stay in the Premier League. “We’ve got a lot of players who have been itching to play in this league for a long time, myself included, and we want to make sure we stay here.” The Baggies ought to have at least narrowed the deficit in a second half they largely controlled, but a powerful header from Victor Anichebe was the closest they went and Long almost piled on the misery with a right-foot effort which came back off the woodwork. To add to Albion’s woes stand-in captain Gareth McAuley limped out with an ankle problem, following Anichebe, who had already departed with a hamstring complaint. A mounting injury list is the last thing Mel needed going into next Saturday’s potentially pivotal home clash with Cardiff, and he admitted: “It is a big problem because the next match is a very big match for us. “There are currently four teams beneath us so of course I think we can still stay up. We continue because every week in the Premier League the table changes.” Long won the 30th-minute penalty from which Liam Rosenior headed in the rebound after Nikica Jelavic’s spot-kick was saved, then struck himself eight minutes later to seal a solid if unspectacular three points for the Tigers in a 2-0 win. By Bruce’s mathematics it leaves his side in search of one more win – which could come on Wednesday night’s trip to West Ham – to almost certainly guarantee top-flight status and enable them to concentrate on their upcoming FA Cup semi-final trip to Wembley. Shane Long sent Hull to within touching distance of Barclays Premier League safety by sinking former club West Bromwich Albion at the KC Stadium on Saturday, but boss Steve Bruce is adamant his side’s survival mission is still not quite complete. Bruce said: “The one thing we need to do now is see it through and make sure we stay in this division. We are a newly promoted club and the odds were stacked against us. “We have got to make sure we are here for two, three, four, five years and stay as a Premier League club. That’s the aim but it’s very difficult, but at the moment we’re doing okay.” Long limped off with a suspected knee strain late in the game and will be a doubt for the trip to Upton Park but by then as far as the Baggies were concerned the damage had been done. The Republic of Ireland always insisted he was reluctant to leave The Hawthorns and new boss Pepe Mel must be rueing the club’s decision to let him go with Albion now languishing just three points off the drop zone. While Long provided the main threat throughout, the visitors failed to threaten despite long periods of neat possession, with their best chance arguably a first minute effort from Stephane Sessegnon which sailed just over the bar. Graeme Dorrans also brought a good save out of Tigers goalkeeper Allan McGregor as the Baggies looked capable of building on Mel’s first win in charge away to fellow strugglers Swansea last week. But Long was central to the home side wresting control of the game around the half-hour mark, shortly after David Meyler had served warning by flashing a header from a Tom Huddlestone corner inches wide of the mark. Long’s fall under Craig Dawson’s innocuous challenge hardly endeared him to the travelling fans, especially when referee Chris Foy indicated a spot-kick which Mel protested and even Bruce conceded was “soft”. Press Association
However, the victory was marred by an incident on the 16th hole, when Kim made a middle-finger gesture at spectators and slammed his club after a fan’s mobile phone rang as he hit a shot. On Tuesday an emotional Kim kneeled before reporters to apologize for his actions but that did not stop the KPGA from handing down a severe punishment, suspending him from the tour until 2022.”Kim Bi-o damaged the dignity of a golfer with etiquette violation and inappropriate behavior,” the tour said in a statement.World No. 302 Kim has played one major in his career, finishing tied for 45th at the U.S. Open in 2013. The money leader of the Korean Tour, Kim Bi-o, has been hit with a three-year ban for aiming an obscene gesture at the crowd during the Gyeongbuk Open.Kim, who formerly spent time on the PGA Tour, claimed his second KPGA title of the year on Sunday.