Video Player is loading.Play VideoPlayNext playlist itemMuteCurrent Time 0:00/Duration 2:31Loaded: 0%Stream Type LIVESeek to live, currently playing liveLIVERemaining Time -2:31 Playback Rate1xChaptersChaptersDescriptionsdescriptions off, selectedCaptionscaptions settings, opens captions settings dialogcaptions off, selectedQuality Levels540p540p360p360p270p270pAutoA, selectedAudio Tracken (Main), selectedFullscreenThis is a modal window.Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparentWindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaqueFont Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400%Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadowFont FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall CapsReset restore all settings to the default valuesDoneClose Modal DialogEnd of dialog window.This is a modal window. This modal can be closed by pressing the Escape key or activating the close button.Close Modal DialogThis is a modal window. This modal can be closed by pressing the Escape key or activating the close button.PlayMuteCurrent Time 0:00/Duration 0:00Loaded: 0%Stream Type LIVESeek to live, currently playing liveLIVERemaining Time -0:00 Playback Rate1xFullscreenIs it a good time to list?02:31Locked down interstate business owners are looking for opportunities to relocate to Queensland in a bid to survive the COVID pandemic period.A prime commercial site fronting the Gold Coast Highway at Mermaid Beach, with tenants including an iconic Sizzler restaurant and KFC, has attracted interest from Melbourne, Sydney and South Australia.A prime mixed-use site fronting the Gold Coast Highway in Mermaid Beach is up for sale.“Major franchises are looking at Queensland because we are open for business,” said Gold Coast agent Ricky Mahuika.“Because we are virtually COVID-free and the infection rate is so low compared to Sydney and Melbourne, a lot of interstate businesses are targeting Queensland.”The iconic Sizzler restaurant is a family favourite at Mermaid Beach.Calls have been coming in hot on 2506 Gold Coast Highway which Mr Mahuika is marketing as the ‘best mixed-use redevelopment site on the Gold Coast’.Sizzler and KFC are long-term tenants on the 6525 sqm site which also hosts a medical centre, pharmacy, Optus tower and pool hall.The sales campaign comes after the Sizzler restaurant space and two neighbouring tenancies were advertised for lease last month.Mr Mahuika confirmed that negotiations were underway on the leasing opportunities, but could not divulge any specific details.A medical centre and pharmacy are among the tenants on the site.A spokesman for Brisbane-based Collins Foods, who operates a string of Sizzler and KFC stores, said no decision had been made to change their leasing arrangements at their Gold Coast restaurants.More from news02:37International architect Desmond Brooks selling luxury beach villa7 hours ago02:37Gold Coast property: Sovereign Islands mega mansion hits market with $16m price tag1 day ago“They maintain a current lease with the landowner and confirm that Sizzler and KFC Mermaid Beach restaurants remain open for business as usual,” the response read.Mr Mahuika said the site presented a combination of opportunities to hold and redevelop, with potential for a transit-related development to work in with the light rail.“It’s a huge development site that’s currently under-utilised,” he said.“It has three street frontages and there will be a light rail station directly in front of the site.”Expressions of interest are open until October 9.
“There are a lot of guys that played in the AAF and played all seven games or whatever they had. We didn’t invite them here because we’ve got enough tape on them,” Luck said. “So Johnny has some tape, right? Whether it’s Canada — and we have two coaches from the CFL, (Marc) Trestman and June Jones. Or there’s college. What he did obviously in the NFL.”If eight guys say, ‘we’d like that guy in the league,’ we’ll put him in the league. Or put him in the draft pool. Whether teams draft him, that’s up to the individual head coaches.”Manziel said earlier this month that he’d like to play for one of the two XFL teams in Texas, either in Dallas or Houston. The XFL’s reboot is set to debut in February 2020. Johnny Manziel wants to play in the XFL, but the feeling may not be mutual.The controversial quarterback has expressed his desire to join his fourth professional league, a move XFL commissioner Oliver Luck has yet to consider. “The biggest draw for me is having two XFL teams in Texas,” Manziel told the Houston Chronicle at the time. “I’m still young and in good shape. I’m looking at all opportunities to play.”Manziel, who is still only 26, is seeking another chance to resurrect his football career after failed stints in the NFL, CFL and AAF.The 2012 Heisman Trophy winner last played with the Memphis Express of the Alliance of American Football in mid-March, but the league suspended operations a couple of weeks later. Jaguars fine Telvin Smith $88K for missing minicamp “Well, I don’t know that yet,” Luck told USA TODAY Sports on Saturday. “That remains to be seen.”However, just because Manziel didn’t receive an invitation to one of the league’s ongoing showcases doesn’t mean it won’t pursue him down the road. Related News Travis Kelce: Kareem Hunt’s release from Chiefs ‘ripped our hearts out’
A Circuit Court Judge in Letterkenny has issued a stark message about what he perceives to be a serious drug problem in Donegal.Judge John O’Hagan, commenting during the sentencing of 36-year-old Letterkenny man Vincent Whoriskey to 18 months imprisonment for drug-related offences, said: “It’s a terrible problem, particularly for young people in Donegal if they don’t kill themselves in cars they kill themselves with drugs. “Some people seem to think of drugs as recreational as having a pint but the courts say differently and the law says it is is an offence to sell drugs to feed your own habit and deal with debts.”Queried as to the extent of the drugs issue, Garda Brady said ‘there is a lot of cocaine’ and noted that last weekend, which was the busiest weekend of the year in the county, that ‘there was enormous amounts of it around town’.“If they don’t kill themselves in cars they kill themselves with drugs” was last modified: June 24th, 2017 by Staff WriterShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:JUdge John O’HaganletterkennyLetterkenny Circuit Court
Share361TweetShare14Email375 SharesIsle De Jean Charles / Karen ApricotMay 3, 2016; New York TimesAnyone following the reports, studies, and news articles about climate change knows of the widely touted claim that our world is literally drowning. However, while the ice caps are melting and the oceans are heating up, it’s hard to imagine the impact of climate that’s physically occurring right now. For the residents of Isle de Jean Charles in Louisiana, climate change is very real, and it’s taking place in their backyards.Situated in the webbing of the wetlands in Southern Louisiana, Isle de Jean Charles, a town of about sixty people, has been dealing with the encroaching seas for years as the state’s coast continues to sink. Due to several manmade and natural causes, the coast is slowly becoming a part of the Gulf of Mexico, and if unabated, it’ll be taking towns like Isle de Jean Charles, its residents, and their homes with it. Combined with erosion caused by loggers and now-rising seas, since 1955, about 90 percent of the town’s original land has sunk.As such, the residents will be the first “climate change refugees.” The Department of Housing and Urban Development allocated the town a $48 million grant for the resettlement, which is part of part of $1 billion set aside to help communities living under the threat of rising sea levels.“We see this as setting a precedent for the rest of the country, the rest of the world,” said Marion McFadden, from the Department of Housing and Urban Development who is running the resettlement program. The relocation plan comes amid other substantial state and federal efforts to address climate changing, including the president’s strongly contested Clean Power Plan, which aims to reduce carbon emissions, and the multi-state attorney general coalition to start holding the fossil fuel industry accountable for its part in climate change.Under the plan, members of the community will be voluntarily relocated to another area where a community does not currently exist. All federal funds must be spent by 2022. While giving a community of just 60 people six years to relocate themselves may seem easy, as noted by the New York Times, there are some significant challenges. The town has tried to relocate three times since 2002 with similar plans, and each attempt broke down due to both logistics and the inherent politics of the situation. For example, what about the residents’ jobs? While some jobs may have the flexibility to work remotely, fishermen or those working in Louisiana’s oil industry won’t have the same flexibility. And will the residents still own any of their land when they move? Where exactly are they moving to, anyway?Overly complicating the issue is the attachment many feel to the land. While the move is voluntary, it is only so to a certain degree, as the land becomes more unlivable. Particularly regretful for Isle de Jean Charles is the history that is being lost, inch by inch, into the sea. Many residents are still attached to their homes. For nearly 200 years, the Native American Biloxi-Chitimacha-Choctaw tribe has called the town their home. “We’re going to lose all our heritage, all our culture,” said tribe chief Albert Naquin. “It’s all going to be history.” Edison Dardar, 66, put up a sign at the entrance of the island saying he did not want to leave. With only 60-odd people, one can imagine the issues a town would face moving hundreds or even thousands of people.While Isle de Jean Charles may be the first town of its kind undertaking such an endeavor, it is certainly not the only one, and will not be the last. It’s estimated between 50 million and 200 million people worldwide will be forced to relocate due to climate change, many likely without the benefit of a federally funded package. Some of the world’s most vulnerable people are likely to be impacted not only by rising sea levels, but droughts, flooding, and reduced access to fresh water.As seen with the Isle de Jean Charles resettlement, the plan is to relocate people before they become homeless. Amid climate talks in Paris last year, the UN discussed a proposal to help “climate affected” individuals move, though it was not included in the final agreement.“You don’t want to wait until people have lost their homes, until they flee and become refugees,” said Walter Kaelin to the Times. Kaelin is the head of the Nansen Initiative, which has been working with the UN to address the impact of weather-related displacement. “The idea is to plan ahead and provide people with some measure of choice.”Isle de Jean Charles’ resettlement may serve as a model for future plans or of what to avoid, but it is certainly a necessary step to provide the residents an affordable chance to restart their lives.—Shafaq HasanShare361TweetShare14Email375 Shares