“If the appropriate safety measures are applied, the probability of transmission is negligible,” Simon said.Five people died in the past day, bringing Spain’s total death toll to 29,094, ministry data showed.Daily deaths, which tend to lag spikes in new cases by several weeks, have increased lately to levels last seen in June, but remain well below the late March peak of nearly 900 deaths per day. Topics : Illa said that the situation is not comparable to the pandemic’s first peak in March and April, noting hospitals now have greater capacity. He said that nothing can be ruled out but it would be unlikely Spain would need to close schools again or impose a new state of emergency to try to tackle the virus.Since bringing the first wave largely under control through a strict lockdown that ended in June, Spain has been hit by a sharp resurgence of infections as measures were relaxed and mass testing began.On Aug. 21, daily infections hit nearly 10,000, their highest level since the peak of the epidemic in late March. They have come down to about 9,000 to 8,000 per day last week, updated health ministry data showed.With the new academic year approaching and Spain registering the highest number of cases in western Europe, officials sought to assuage fears that schools could turn into vectors for mass contagion. Spain has registered more than 23,000 new COVID-19 cases since Friday, health emergency chief Fernando Simon told a news conference on Monday, suggesting the infection rate had declined slightly from an Aug. 21 peak.Health ministry data showed 2,489 new cases were diagnosed in the past 24 hours, bringing the total since the onset of the pandemic to 462,858.”Of course we are worried because we have to stabilize and bring down the infection chain,” Health Minister Salvador Illa told Catalonia’s regional TV channel 324 late on Monday, adding that the goal is to avoid pressuring hospitals.
Nigeria’s minister of state for foreign affairs, Musiliu Obanikoro. Nigeria’s Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Musiliu Obanikoro invited South Africa’s high commissioner Lulu Mnguni to discuss the “on-going xenophobic attacks against fellow Africans in South Africa”, the Nigerian foreign ministry said in a statement on Wednesday.“The essence of the summon was to register Nigeria’s protest over the on-going xenophobic attacks against fellow Africans in South Africa.”In a statement made available to LEADERSHIP yesterday, Ambassador Obanikoro condemned the attacks on foreigners in South Africa, and expressed concern about the fate of Nigerians and, indeed, of other African immigrants in the country.“South Africa needs to take concrete steps to quell the unrest and bring the culprits involved to book to act as a deterrent and prevent further violence,” he said.Meanwhile, the South African high commissioner, in his response, explained that his government was doing everything possible to stop the attacks and prosecute culprits.He also expressed appreciation to the Nigerian government and people for the mature manner the crisis had been handled.Since the attacks started last week, several Nigerians have lost their businesses and other belongings to fire set by locals.Obanikoro said that the Nigerian high commissioner, Martin Cobham, and other officials were taking stock of the damage done to Nigerians to ensure that adequate compensation is paid to them.Related Hundreds arrested over xenophobic attacks in South Africa. South Africa Police Arrest Many for Feared Xenophobic Attacks Xenophobic attacks threaten South Africa’s tourism
RelatedPosts COVID-19: NCAA to revoke erring airlines licence over non-compliance Club’s server collapses over ticket demand for first Bundesliga game in 11 years FRSC to Schools: We’ll arrest, prosecute drivers who flout COVID-19 rules German top-flight football club FC Cologne said on Friday that group training was continuing in spite of three people at the club testing positive for COVID-19.The Bundesliga side said in a statement that the entire squad and coaching staff had been tested on Thursday. “Three people tested positive, all are symptom-free,” the club statement said. “After an assessment of the cases by the responsible health authorities, the three people who tested positive will go into a 14-day quarantine at home.”FC Cologne said they would not confirm any names out of respect for the privacy of the individuals involved.While Bundesliga clubs have returned to training, they must wait another week to find out about a possible restart to the season.This was after the German government on Thursday delayed any decision over a league resumption amid the coronavirus pandemic.The cash-strapped clubs and league had been hoping for the government to give the green light and end a two-month suspension. But Chancellor Angela Merkel has said any decision on if and when sports could resume would be taken on May 6.Germany has suffered over 6,500 deaths from coronavirus, with more than 162,00 people infected.Reuters/NAN.Tags: BundesligaCoronavirusCOVID-19FC CologneGermany
The Tipp school take on St Kieran’s of Kilkenny this evening in the Post-Primary All-Ireland Final in Semple Stadium. A win for CBS would secure only their second ever Croke Cup title in their history. Martin Maher is part of the management team at the school and he says his players’ difficult path to the final will stand to them today. Throw-in today is at 5 o’clock and Tipp FM will have full live coverage in association with John Healy Lawnmowers and Quads Thurles.