Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York A 27-year-old motorcyclist from Freeport was killed in a crash with a school bus with nearly two dozen children aboard in Baldwin on Monday morning.Nassau County police said Diony Antonio Lopez was riding a Honda motorcycle eastbound on Merrick Road when he collided with an Atlantic Express Transportation school bus at the corner of Lancaster Avenue shortly before 8 a.m.The motorcyclist was taken to South Nassau Communities Hospital, where he was pronounced dead less than an hour later.The 64-year-old woman driving the bus was taken to a local hospital for treatment of non-life threatening injuries. The 23 children, ages 5 through 14, aboard the bus were not injured.Homicide Squad detectives are continuing the investigation.
“There are a lot of guys that played in the AAF and played all seven games or whatever they had. We didn’t invite them here because we’ve got enough tape on them,” Luck said. “So Johnny has some tape, right? Whether it’s Canada — and we have two coaches from the CFL, (Marc) Trestman and June Jones. Or there’s college. What he did obviously in the NFL.”If eight guys say, ‘we’d like that guy in the league,’ we’ll put him in the league. Or put him in the draft pool. Whether teams draft him, that’s up to the individual head coaches.”Manziel said earlier this month that he’d like to play for one of the two XFL teams in Texas, either in Dallas or Houston. The XFL’s reboot is set to debut in February 2020. Johnny Manziel wants to play in the XFL, but the feeling may not be mutual.The controversial quarterback has expressed his desire to join his fourth professional league, a move XFL commissioner Oliver Luck has yet to consider. “The biggest draw for me is having two XFL teams in Texas,” Manziel told the Houston Chronicle at the time. “I’m still young and in good shape. I’m looking at all opportunities to play.”Manziel, who is still only 26, is seeking another chance to resurrect his football career after failed stints in the NFL, CFL and AAF.The 2012 Heisman Trophy winner last played with the Memphis Express of the Alliance of American Football in mid-March, but the league suspended operations a couple of weeks later. Jaguars fine Telvin Smith $88K for missing minicamp “Well, I don’t know that yet,” Luck told USA TODAY Sports on Saturday. “That remains to be seen.”However, just because Manziel didn’t receive an invitation to one of the league’s ongoing showcases doesn’t mean it won’t pursue him down the road. Related News Travis Kelce: Kareem Hunt’s release from Chiefs ‘ripped our hearts out’
However, two simple Suarez finishes from close range either side of half-time and Paulinho’s late tap-in glossed over another under-par performance from Ernesto Valverde’s men, who were again thankful to a fine display from goalkeeper Marc-Andre ter Stegen.“The important thing was to win,” Suarez told BeIN Sports Spain.“We always try to play our best in every game but sometimes it is not possible.”– Refreshed Suarez –Suarez was refreshed after sitting out international duty with Uruguay over the past fortnight and had the ball in the net after just four minutes, but Jordi Alba had already been flagged for offside as he supplied the cross for the former Liverpool striker.Leganes have enjoyed a fine start to just their second ever season in the Spanish top flight and a repeat of the 5-0 thrashing Barca dished out on their visit to Butarque last season was never likely as the hosts went onto enjoy the better of the opening half. Amrabat was the creator once more for Leganes’ best chance before the break when he released Alexander Szymanowski inside the area, but the Argentine’s curling effort was turned to safety by the in-form Ter Stegen.The German goalkeeper was called into action again early in the second period when Leganes substitute Claudio Beauvue was too quick for the Barca defence only to fire straight at Ter Stegen.In contrast, just as in the first half, Barca were ruthlessly efficient in front of goal to double their lead on the hour mark.Lionel Messi’s dinked pass released Alcacer and after Cuellar parried his first effort, Suarez drilled home the rebound for his second of the afternoon.Barca rode their luck to hold out for a 12th clean sheet in their last 17 games as Ter Stegen saved one-on-one from Amrabat and Beauvue blasted well over when unmarked 10 yards out.However, Barca piled more pressure on the chasing Atletico and Real ahead of the Madrid derby and rubbed salt into Leganes’ wounds when Paulinho rolled into an empty net when a loose ball broke off Messi in stoppage time.Share on: WhatsApp “Perhaps 0-3 is a bit excessive. They played well enough for the gap between the teams to not be so great,” said Barca boss Valverde.The busy Nordin Ambrabat fired a shot over after a positive run at the Barca defence before Gabriel Pires also dragged an effort wide when well-placed at the edge of the box.However, Leganes’ good work in the opening half hour was undone by a goalkeeping error when Ivan Cuellar limply palmed Paco Alcacer’s driven cross into the path of the grateful Suarez to smash home his first goal for a month.“I wasn’t anxious. The important thing was to feel good again and help the team,” added Suarez.Barca’s joy was tempered moments later when Gerard Pique was booked for bringing down Amrabat meaning he will be suspended for next weekend’s clash at Valencia. Madrid, Spain | AFP | Luis Suarez ended a five-game goal drought with a double as Barcelona extended their lead at the top of La Liga with a flattering 3-0 win at Leganes on Saturday.Barca now lead second-placed Valencia by seven points ahead of their trip to the Mestalla next weekend, with both Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid 11 points adrift before they face off in the Madrid derby later on Saturday (1945 GMT).
Pakistan cricket players Mohammad Amir, left, Salman Butt, right, and Mohammad Asif, centre rear.Pakistan’s disgraced cricketers, Salman Butt and Mohammed Amir returned home on Sunday after being banned by the International Cricket Council (ICC) anti-corruption tribunal on corruption charges but faced no harsh reactions from the people at the airport.The two players came out quietly from the terminal building and slipped away in their waiting cars but not before insisting they were innocent of the spot-fixing charges brought against them.Talking to reporters inside the terminal building, the two banned players said they were shocked and still at a loss over the bans imposed on them.”The punishments handed out were harsh. We are innocent and we intend to use every avenue to get the bans overturned,” former Test captain Butt said.”We were not expecting such a verdict from the ICC tribunal and I have said all along we didn’t get a fair treatment or hearing at the hearings,” he added.”I had gone to Doha with some hopes but was not expecting I would be banned for ten years it is unacceptable and shocking for me,” he added.Butt, who was given a longer ban because of his central role in the no-ball scandal during the fourth Test against England at Lord’s last year said he would wait for the ICC to release the detailed judgement of the tribunal.”We are supposed to get the detailed judgement in two days time and we want to see the evidence on basis of which they have banned and then we will go into appeal,” he stated.advertisementThe ICC tribunal also banned pacer, Muhammad Asif for seven years and Aamer for five years.Aamer said he was still in a state of shock over the tribunal verdict.”I was not expecting this verdict at all and I say again I am insist and didn’t do any corruption,” he claimed.Aamer also complained about not getting fair treatment at the hearing on Saturday in Doha by the tribunal.”We are waiting for the ICC to release the detailed judgement of the tribunal after which we will decide what to do but we have made up our minds to appeal the ban in the first instance,” he added.He confirmed he had pleaded not guilty at the tribunal hearing.-With PTI inputs
“When other players struggled, some of my teammates stepped up and that’s a good thing for us.”Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netMANILA, Philippines—Kevin Alas may have fully healed from his knee injury he suffered last season but he’s still slowly trying to get back into tiptop shape.NLEX’s young guard suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) in his right knee in the 2018 PBA Philippine Cup but has since recovered to play in the Road Warriors’ first four games of the new season.ADVERTISEMENT ‘We are too hospitable,’ says Sotto amid SEA Games woes And it wasn’t just Alas, who broke out of his slump as the Road Warriors snapped their three-game losing streak to get to a 1-3 record.NLEX, however, had to endure the Dyip’s rabid rally in the third quarter when Columbian outscored the Road Warriors 36-17 in the third quarter.The Road Warriors had a 31-point lead, 65-34, late in the second quarter but saw it dwindle down to five, 91-86, early in the fourth quarter.“It was actually kind of a good thing because our character got tested when Columbian made that run,” said Alas.NLEX recovered later in the fourth quarter going on a 9-2 run to take a 100-88 lead after Philip Paniamogan’s three with 4:05 left.ADVERTISEMENT Lacson backs proposal to elect president and vice president in tandem Oil plant explodes in Pampanga town The return, however, wasn’t as smooth as Alas had hoped for after he scored just a total of 17 points on a combined 7-of-33 shooting across his first three games.Alas admitted that he wasn’t that satisfied with his output and even though he broke that slump in the Road Warriors’ 107-97 win over Columbian he left the game wanting more from himself.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSUrgent reply from Philippine football chiefSPORTSWin or don’t eat: the Philippines’ poverty-driven, world-beating pool stars“Personally, I’m not satisfied with my performance especially during the second half but I know that I can do better than that,” said Alas in Filipino who finished with 13 points, on 5-of-8 shooting, two rebounds, and three assists Sunday at Smart Araneta Coliseum.“The coaches have always told me to stay patient. I actually computed my field goals in the first three games, 7-of-33, and that was bad.” Oil plant explodes in Pampanga town Grace Poe files bill to protect govt teachers from malicious accusations Hard-fighting Dyip show resilience in loss to NLEX US judge bars Trump’s health insurance rule for immigrants SEA Games hosting troubles anger Duterte LATEST STORIES MOST READ PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games PLAY LIST 02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. View comments
TagsTransfersAbout the authorAnsser SadiqShare the loveHave your say BVB, PSG challenge Arsenal for Celtic whizkid Dembeleby Ansser Sadiq16 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveBorussia Dortmund are joining Arsenal in the race to sign Karamoko Dembele from Celtic.The 16-year-old has become one the hottest properties in Europe over the past few months.The Sunclaims that Arsenal boss Unai Emery is a huge fan of Dembele and wants to add him to the squad.But it appears that he will have competition. PSG are interested, while Bild reports that Borussia Dortmund are “hot” for the youngster as well.Dembele has not played this season for the Celtic first team, but is rated very highly by everyone in the game.
Vine/Andy WittryMaryland struggled down the stretch this season, but played Big Ten favorite Michigan State very tough in today’s conference semifinal. With 0.8 seconds left, down 64-61, the Terps had a chance at a long Melo Trimble heave to tie the game, and on the play it appears that he may have been fouled by Michigan State’s Eron Harris while shooting. A call would have put Trimble, an 86-percent free throw shooter, on the line with a chance to tie the game, but the referees swallowed their whistles, giving Sparty the win.Was it the right call? You decide:Last shot by Maryland. Close call on if it’s a foul or not. Michigan St. wins and will play Purdue tomorrow https://t.co/lCScEB2jwb— THE MAIN MANN™ (@JacobMann_1) March 12, 2016Twitter certainly doesn’t have a consensus.Don’t think that was a foul on Harris but WHY IS HE THERE???— Seth Davis (@SethDavisHoops) March 12, 2016That was a foul on the last shot but #Terps had their chances.— Zachary Cohen (@ZcohenCNN) March 12, 2016LOL Maryland got screwed on the last play. Clear foul.— Peyton Manning GOAT (@mranieri17) March 12, 2016Maryland didn’t deserve a foul at the end. They got too many of them the first 15 minutes of the 2nd half. So no, Terp fans can’t complain— Adam Ruff (@AdamMRuff) March 12, 2016Terps nation: dont complain about the “foul” at the end. Complain about the coach that doesn’t prepare our team or make any adjustments— DLee (@dmvDLEE) March 12, 2016At any other point in the game that’s a foul. Basketball is dumb— Alyssa Goins (@AlyssaGoins) March 12, 2016“I swear to god I didn’t see it” as CBS shows him losing it because it was clearly a foul— Anthony Valle (@Ant_Films) March 12, 2016That was probably a foul at the end of the Maryland-Michigan State game, but a referee is never going to call that.— Justin Howard (@JustinHoward44) March 12, 2016At the same time, if you’re stupid enough to contest a 3/4-length shot and make contact, you should probably be punished with a foul.— Jesse Yomtov (@JesseYomtov) March 12, 2016“If that was a foul, I will tell you some other ones on our side that were fouls.” -Tom Izzo #goat #V4MSU #bigtentournament— Jerry VanDorpe (@JDVanDorpe) March 12, 2016That is 100 percent a foul.— Andrew Holleran (@andrewjholleran) March 12, 2016Calling a foul there would be very rough, but Harris can’t put himself in that position. Michigan State might’ve gotten a little lucky today.More: The 10 CFB Teams That Could Go Undefeated In 2016 >>>
Co-Founder of the Preventing Sexual Violence Initiative and Special Envoy of the UN High Commissioner for Refugees, Angelina Jolie has received an honorary Damehood (DCMG) for services to UK foreign policy and the campaign to end war zone sexual violence.Since co-founding the Preventing Sexual Violence Initiative with William Hague, Foreign Secretary, in May 2012, Angelina Jolie has made an exceptional contribution to the development, promotion and impact of this major UK objective. Building on her long-term humanitarian work for the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) she has been at the forefront of the initiative to highlight and seek justice for the plight of some of the most vulnerable people on the planet, the victims of sexual violence in conflict.On learning of her award Angelina Jolie said: “To receive an honour related to foreign policy means a great deal to me, as it is what I wish to dedicate my working life to.“Working on the Preventing Sexual Violence Initiative and with survivors of rape is an honour in itself. I know that succeeding in our goals will take a lifetime, and I am dedicated to it for all of mine.”