Search on for prominent businessman son after helicopter goes missing in Quebec

MONTREAL — A search is under way for a prominent Quebec businessman and his son, who did not return from a fishing trip in northern Quebec as planned.Sagami Inc., a giant in the greenhouse tomato industry, says in a statement that everything is being done to ensure its president, Stephane Roy, and his son are found safe.The two were expected to return from a fishing trip on Wednesday.The statement says Roy, the founder of the company, is an experienced pilot with numerous flight hours aboard the craft in question, a Robinson R44 helicopter.The company says it’s too early to know what happened and has been in contact with Quebec provincial police and the Canadian Forces, who are conducting searches in the Parent district of La Tuque, Que., more than 400 kilometres north of Montreal.A provincial police spokesman says family members reported the pair missing in the area Thursday morning.“According to preliminary reports, four people left, two in a helicopter and two in a seaplane to a chalet … these people were to return yesterday (Wednesday),” said spokesman Claude Denis.The aircraft returned as scheduled but the helicopter did not.Police say anyone spotting a helicopter in distress between Parent and Ste-Sophie, in the Laurentians region, should call them.The Canadian Press read more

Works on Liliendaal Bridge 65 per cent complete – Patterson

Rehabilitation works on the Liliendaal Bridge, located in Greater Georgetown, is now approximately 65 per cent complete and the Public Infrastructure Ministry is pushing to wrap up the project before the initial July 2017 deadline.Public Infrastructure Minister, David PattersonThis is according to the Public Infrastructure Minister, David Patterson, who was at the time responding to concerns expressed on social media regarding the pace of the works on the bridge.In his response to these concerns, the Minister explained that all the piling and crossbeams have been completed and the decking is prefabricated and will soon be “dropped in.”The Minister further asserted that the construction is slated to be completed by May 22 2017.In the past, the bridge had shown signs of imminent failure, and one of the panels had been detached making the bridge unstable.As such, recommendations were made by the Demerara Harbour Bridge Corporation (DHBC) Inspection Team and engineers attached to the Ministry of Public Infrastructure to have the rehabilitation process begin.The $89M project is being undertaken by H. Nauth & Sons Civil Engineering Contractors. Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)RelatedPatterson says CJIA’s new arrival building to be completed in JuneApril 25, 2018In “Business”Govt rushes to spend $9B in 3 weeksDecember 11, 2016In “Politics”CJIA revenue collection up by 13%December 29, 2016In “latest news” read more