Madrid – The Spanish justice ordered on Sunday the detention of the suspected head of a terrorist cell, associated with the “Islamic State” organization, disbanded on Friday by Moroccan and Spanish security services.A judge of the Spanish highest penal jurisdiction, Javier Gomez Bermudez, heard on Sunday the suspect, Mohamed Said Mohamed, who holds the Spanish nationality, and decided to put him in detention without bail, out of fear that the suspect could flee the Spanish territory or destroy the pieces of evidence.Investigations led so far show that the defendant, a former serviceman, arrested on Friday in Morocco’s northern city of Melilia, under Spanish rule, was the head of a jihadist band that was planning to join the “Islamic State” Organization. The man, who has criminal records and who had already served a prison sentence between February and August 2014, was wanted by Morocco which had issued an international arrest warrant for suspicion of establishing armed gangs to plot and carry out terrorist acts”, the Spanish judge said.Eight other members of the same cell who had been arrested on Friday in Nador (northeastern Morocco) were found to be in close contact with a former Spanish serviceman who had rallied in 2012 the “Mujao” organization, associated with Al Qaeda, before joining later the “Islamic State” organization.The Moroccan interior ministry announced last Friday the disbanding, in close collaboration with the Spanish security services, of a network, active in Nador and Melilia (northeastern Morocco), suspected of recruiting fighters for the Iraqi-Syrian jihadist group “Islamic State“.Investigation showed that the eight men were in touch with members of “Attaouhid” and “Al Mouahidine,” two other groups disbanded in May 2013 in Nador. They also coordinated with “Al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb” group in northern Mali.
The cabinet has been informed that 59,160 vehicles belong to Ministries, Departments and Government Institutions. Details of the vehicles was presented to the cabinet by the Minister of Finance Ravi Karunanayake, the Government said today. Cabinet was told that a considerable number of these vehicles are still being used by Ministers, Deputy Ministers, Parliamentarians and those who functioned in various positions of the former government but are not functioning in such positions at present. The cabinet has decided to instruct the secretaries to the Ministries to take necessary steps to re-acquire these vehicles being used by persons who do not hold official positions, without further delay. (Colombo Gazette)